Associate/Full Professor of Social Work and Program Director
October 8, 2018
St. Davids, Pennsylvania
Full Time - Experienced
Mental Health/Social Services
The successful candidate will direct the Social Work Department and facilitate the development an MSW program while supporting and collaborating with the BSW Program/Field Director. The position will also include teaching social work courses in areas such as HBSE, policy, and practice with an opportunity to develop and teach elective social work courses in the area of expertise. Collaboratively, the Program Director is responsible for the development and administrative oversight of the Social Work program. This can include responsibility for maintaining CSWE accreditation compliance, recruiting and training appropriate adjunct instructors, department faculty oversight, budget management, tenure- track faculty duties, student advising and oversight and input into student recruitment, marketing and admissions. Eastern University is known for its emphasis on faith, reason, and justice. The Department of Social Work embodies this mission whole-heartedly.
1. Maintains compliance with CSWE accreditation standards.
2. Provides leadership of the Social Work faculty team (full-time and adjunct faculty) to achieve the program mission and goals.
3. Develops, articulates, and presents the vision of the Social Work Department. Translates this vision into strategic goals by developing an assessment plan related to the University mission and strategic planning objectives.
4. Develops, oversees, and manages Social Work budgets.
5. Directs the development of the MSW curriculum in collaboration with department faculty.
6. Supports the continuous development of the BSW program in collaboration with the BSW Program/Field Director and department faculty.
7. Helps to develop the academic, social and spiritual dimensions of the faculty and Students.
8. Oversees the recruitment and selection process of future full-time and adjunct faculty.
9. Facilitates the admissions and interview process for future students.
10. Provides and directs the opportunity for adjunct faculty development and training in collaboration with the university Faculty Development systems.
11. Maintains Department professional memberships and represents the University at professional meetings.
12. Provides input related to departmental needs to the administrative support and recruitment systems of the university.
13. Speaks at Open Houses and other student recruitment activities.
14. Prepares departmental reports and other documents requested by University Administrators.
1. Teaches courses as part of assigned load.
2. Advises students.
3. Pursues a scholarly agenda of inquiry, presentation, and publication.
1. MSW from a CSWE accredited program and a PhD in Social Work or DSW.
2. Minimum of two years of post MSW practice experience.
3.Thorough knowledge of CSWE accreditation/hands-on experience with CSWE accreditation process.
4. Commitment to and record of excellence in teaching undergraduate and graduate courses.
5. Validated experience in the development of program related initiatives.
6. Demonstrated leadership in a university setting.
7. Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
8. Record of effective collaborative engagement and shared decision-making.
9. Embody values of caring and compassion, justice and integrity, competence and affirmation.
10. Commitment to treat each member of the campus community with fairness, dignity and respect seeking a spirit of unity and harmony as we join together to achieve our common mission.
11. Theological alignment with the doctrinal statement of the University; sincere and enthusiastic affirmation of the University’s mission, vision and core values; and a commitment to integrating Christian faith into teaching and professional work. The Social Work Department is comprised of six full-time faculty. The Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) program has been accredited by CSWE since 1974. The BSW in Social Work at Eastern University educates students to be knowledgeable and skilled general social work practitioners, compassionate agents of God’s mercy and justice in meeting common human needs, with particular attention to people who are vulnerable, oppressed, and living in poverty. This mission is accomplished through 1) preparing students for beginning professional social work practice with diverse individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities 2) educating students about the values and ethics of the profession and to ethically integrate a Christian perspective embodying empathy, justice, and the dignity and worth of each person, and 3) educating students to use critical analysis and scientific inquiry to develop a social work knowledge base and skills.
Eastern University is a Christian university of the arts and sciences that integrates faith, reason and justice for students in its undergraduate, graduate, Seminary, urban, professional and international programs. Applicants should have a religious commitment compatible with its mission and be willing to endorse by signing Eastern University’s doctrinal statement. The university complies with federal and state guidelines of nondiscrimination in employment; members of the protected classes are encouraged to apply.
Internal Number: 261
About Eastern University
Eastern University is located in St. Davids, Pennsylvania with branch campuses in the Philadelphia and Harrisburg regions. Eastern University is a Christian university of the arts and sciences that integrates faith, reason and justice for students in its undergraduate, graduate, Seminary, urban, professional and international programs. Applicants should have a religious commitment compatible with our mission and community standards. The university complies with federal and state guidelines of nondiscrimination in employment; members of protected classes encouraged to apply.
In accordance with state laws, Act 73 of 2007 & Act 153 of 2014 (relating to the Child Protective Services Law), school employees of Eastern University who will have "direct contact with children" must complete the background check process prior to employment. University employees must obtain and present directly to the Human Resources department the following three child protection clearances: FBI Criminal Record Check; Pennsylvania Department of Human Services Child Abuse History Clearance and Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check. Click here for information on how to obtain t...hese clearances. Employment will be contingent upon successful results of the background investigation.
This description is intended to describe the general level and nature of work performed by the person/people assigned to this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities of the person/people so assigned.