The Vanderbilt Psychiatry Navigate Program is looking to fill an exciting position that provides an array of professional experiences and a chance to work with world-renowned researchers & clinicians. Navigate is a program for young adults experiencing early psychosis. Our team offers a multitude of wrap-around supports including employment support, psychotherapy, medication management, and peer support. The Recovery Coach acts as a professional advocate for each patient's individual recovery goals.
Position Overview: The Recovery Coach provides peer recovery support services to patients with emerging psychotic disorders and will assist patients in achieving and sustaining mental health recovery as defined by each individual patient. This position will facilitate recovery by leading peer recovery groups, supporting patients in the community, and engaging with family and/or other natural supports. The peer specialist maintains ongoing patient support regardless of relapse and will serve as a motivator, ally, role model, sounding board, and advocate for patients with emerging psychotic disorders.
Job Description: The Recovery Coach serves as a liaison between the community, the treatment team, and the patient's family to facilitate supported mental health recovery. The Recovery Coach will meet with patients in community settings to understand their needs and personal goals, support the exploration of potential positive and negative consequences associated with personal goals, and work collaboratively with the patient to remove obstacles that might interfere with goal attainment. The Recovery Coach educates patients about psychosis treatment and, when necessary, co-occurring addiction, by utilizing motivational enhancement techniques to explore ambiguity and tip the scales towards healthy decision-making.
The Recovery Coach will:
Meet with patients and family and/or other natural supports to create a specific and actionable recovery support plan.
Provide transportation resources for patients who need support with activation and engagement in the community.
Build rapport with patients in community settings by utilizing their unique recovery experiences to establish and maintain a peer relationship rather than a hierarchical relationship.
Model effective coping techniques and evidenced-based self-help strategies while understanding the unique needs of each individual's recovery.
Use evidenced-based curriculum to facilitate peer-led support groups; will also assist with documentation.
Attend and support facilitators in weekly family group sessions.
Encourage participants to engage in all services offered, such as group therapy, employment support, etc.
Impart relevant skills needed for self-management of symptoms and prevention of relapse.
Provide and promote recovery-based services (e.g., BRIDGES, WRAP(r), 12-Step Groups, etc.) when needed.
Attend weekly supervision to obtain support with individual cases and to engage in professional and personal development.
Attend weekly treatment team meetings to advocate for patient recovery goals.
Collaborate with team members to provide coordinated specialty care for each individual patient.
The Department of Psychiatry provides inpatient and outpatient services to children, adolescents, and adults with mental illnesses.
View how Vanderbilt Health employees celebrate the difference they make every day:
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
* US News & World Report: #1 Adult Hospital in Tennessee and metropolitan Nashville, named to the Best Hospitals Honor Roll of the top 20 adult hospitals, 10 nationally ranked adult specialty programs, with 3 specialties rated in the top 10 nationally, Monroe Carell Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt named as one of the Best Children's Hospital in the nation, with 10 out of 10 pediatric specialties nationally ranked.
* Healthcare's Most Wired: Among the nation's 100 "most-wired" hospitals and health systems for its efforts in innovative medical technology.
* Becker's Hospital Review: named as one of the "100 Great Hospitals in America", in the roster of 100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs and to its list of the 100 Hospitals with Great Heart Programs.
* The Leapfrog Group: One of only 10 children's hospitals in the to be named at Leapfrog Top Hospital.
* American Association for the Advancement of Science: The School of Medicine has 112 elected fellows
* Magnet Recognition Program: Received our third consecutive Magnet designations.
* National Academy of Medicine: 22 members, elected by their peers in recognition of outstanding achievement
* Human Rights Campaign Healthcare Equality Index: 6th year in a row that Vanderbilt University Medical Center was a Leader in LGBTQ Healthcare Equality
High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) and < 1 year relevant experience
* Demonstrates ability to maintain 2 years of sustained and uninterrupted recovery at time of hire required * Successful completion of a CCAR approved Recovery Coach Academy before hire, or the successful completion of a CCAR approved Recovery Coach Academy within 4 months of hire.* Certified Addiction Recovery Coach (CARC) certification required within first 12 months of employment * Certified Peer Recovery Specialist (Required within 9 months of hire)
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.